9 weeks to go!
Monday – 4 miles
Tuesday – rest
Wednesday – 8 miles. I had 15 on my schedule but that just wasn't going to happen. Worked too late and I just didn't have the time or energy to keep going.
Thursday – 4 miles
Friday – yoga
Saturday – NYRR Autism Speaks 4 miler. I PR-ed by over a minute! I know I'm still super, super slow but it's nice to see an improvement.
Sunday – post Atlantic City death. I laid on the couch all day and prayed for the hangover gods to just kill me off.
Total – 20 miles, 1 yoga session, 1 horrible hangover
8 weeks to go!
Monday – 4 miles
Tuesday – 4 miles
Wednesday – rest
Thursday – 3 miles
Friday – yoga
Saturday – another hangover. This needs to stop happening.
Sunday – 18 mile tune-up in Central Park on zero food or energy because I was so sick the day prior. I'm bad at life.
Total – 29 miles, 1 yoga session
Things I learned in the past two weeks:
- I cannot handle booze. I rarely go out anymore but when I do I am SO SICK the next day…..like head pounding/so dehydrated/hurts to be alive kind of sick. I think I need to quit drinking until the marathon is over.
- People take their clif shot bloks out of the plastic wrapper and wrap each blok in tinfoil? I saw a girl doing this on the subway on the way to race and it blew my mind.
- My stomach does not like Gatorade. I had to stop THREE times during my 18 miler. Enough said.
- I need new shoes. My feet and knees hurt while I'm running, so I'm thinking that's the cause.
1. I got on the scale today and it was a disaster. I'm up almost 20 pounds from where I was in January. I know I've gained a little because I've been running/eating more, but I'm pretty sure most of it is due to alcohol. Whoops. Might be time to cut back a little.
2. I'm running a race tomorrow – the NYRR Autism Speaks 4 Miles of Hope. Last time I did a 4-miler I ran it in 42:38. I'd love to beat that, even by a few seconds, by I'm not expecting that to happen. Like I said, I'm almost 20 lbs heavier, which definitely does not translate to faster running times for me.
3. And then I'm going to AC! I'm spending the weekend there to celebrate a friends birthday and I'm pretty excited. So yeah….that cutting back on booze thing obviously can't start this weekend….
4. I ran out of GUs and shot blocks so I used gummy bears for my long run. Possibly one of the best decisions I have made lately.
5. I found my new favorite snack. I'm not a huge almond butter person but this Cocoa + Coconut Barney Butter is one of the best things to happen to me. I've been putting it everything – apples, bananas, toast, spoons….to die for.
That's all. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
On Saturday I ran the NYRR Brooklyn Half marathon and got a new PR!
Race day started bright and early with a 5:30 am wake up call. Getting there was a little bit rough. My sweet boyfriend offered to drive me to prospect park amd we had a few issues getting there. There was traffic, the Brooklyn bridge was closed so we had to find an alternate route, and worst of all….DUNKIN DONUTS WAS CLOSED! How could they be closed at 615?!? Who is making the donuts?!? So no coffee for me. Boo.
I made it to the start and hung out in the corrals for about 35 minutes and then we were off! I haven't really been running lately, even though I vowed to run more after my last half, so my plan was to take it easy. I wanted to run slow, walk when necessary and just have fun.
I ended up walking a few miles in the middle in Prospect Park because my hips were super tight and painful.
Running along Ocean Parkway was cool for a few minutes, but then it got kind of boring. I was ready to be done around mile 10….unfortunately that's nowhere close to 13.1.
Around mile 12 I realized that if I stopped being a wimp and actually ran I might be able to get a PR so I picked up the pace and shaved almost three minutes off my last half!
By the end I was so happy to be done and it took forever to find my boyfriend. The cell reception was terrible and it took us over 30 minutes to find each other, even though he actually saw me cross the finish line!
It ended up being a great day, even though I had a rough start and my hips were hurting.
Official time – 2:27:31
Yesterday I went on an adventure to Brooklyn to pick up my race bib for this weekend. I had a few hours to spare so I decided to walk instead of take the train or ferry.
I ended up walking down the East River and then west Chinatown towards the Brooklyn Bridge. I stopped at the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory along the way. There were some crazy flavors! I sampled the black sesame, which was good but odd tasting, and ended up choosing the coconut(safe and delicious).
I made my way over the bridge, took a photo of the newly finished Freedom Tower and headed to the expo. It was in the Old Tobacco Warehouse, which was very cool, but the expo itself was kind of lame. No samples, not very many vendors. Oh well.
I ended up walking 9.5 miles(!) so I bought a pretzel, grabbed my bib and shirt, and headed to the subway. At first I was kind of annoyed the expo was all the way in Brooklyn(NYRR pick up is so convenient), but it was really nice out yesterday and ended up being a great way to spend a few hours, so I can't complain.